One of the areas of focus in UNC Charlotte's 10-year strategic plan, Shaping What's Next 2021-31, is to ensure that our campus is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. As we continue to develop the 2021 plan for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, here are some of the previous planning iterations.
1. Assess UNC Charlotte’s current DEI efforts for effectiveness and efficiency to determine how to best support them as well as to identify gaps, redundancy and innovations.
- Complete a listening tour of campus colleges and divisions to determine key issues, programs, plans, service gaps, innovative ideas, commitment to DEI, areas of positive energy and desire to move forward.
- Collect UNC Charlotte institutional data for the purpose of identifying gaps and critical areas related to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as positive outcomes.
- Represent UNC Charlotte at the UNC System level in regard to issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion, including by serving on System’s Diversity and Inclusion Council.
- Review the recommendations related to diversity and inclusion forwarded by the UNC System Racial Equity Task Force in fall 2020; prioritize these according to UNC Charlotte’s needs and goals.
- Conduct a University-wide survey on issues related to DEI in early 2021; compare outcomes to previous DEI surveys.
- Collaborate regularly with campus leaders, faculty, students, staff, and internal and external constituencies to ensure consistent DEI programing that creates an inclusive campus and supports the University’s values, by eliminating systemic barriers.
2. Collaborate with the Office of the Chancellor (and the forthcoming Chancellor’s Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Council) to formulate the University’s DEI mission, goals and updated plan based on input from UNC Charlotte’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Form the Chancellor’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion Council to serve as an advisory and coordinating group.
- Partner with the University’s academic colleges and administrative units to identify DEI leaders and champions, who are able to aid the advancement of the University’s DEI goals and emphasize their priority to internal and external constituents.
- Align UNC Charlotte’s DEI priorities with the UNC System’s strategic plan for access, student success, and diverse and excellent institutions, as well as with the UNC System Racial Equity Task Force and UNC Charlotte’s current strategic plan.
- By April 2021, finalize UNC Charlotte’s 2021 Plan for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, designed to advance the University’s DEI efforts and achieve the goal of creating and ultimately, sustaining, a model campus for DEI.