The University will begin a national search for a chief diversity officer, a new permanent position that will report directly to Chancellor Sharon L. Gaber.
This fall, Cheryl Waites Spellman was named as the interim special assistant to the chancellor for diversity & inclusion for the 2020-21 academic year. Waites Spellman will continue in this interim capacity until a permanent successor is named and will also serve on the search committee.
The search committee will be chaired by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Kevin Bailey, who will be joined by:
- Dick Beekman, Student Body President
- Kim Bradley, Chief of Staff to the Chancellor
- Celeste Corpening, Staff Council Chair
- Nancy Gutierrez, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Susan Harden, Faculty Council President
- Yvette Huet, Professor of Kinesiology and Director of Advance Faculty Affairs and Diversity Office
- Janaka Lewis, Associate Professor of English, Director of Women's and Gender Studies Program
- Cheryl Waites Spellman, Interim Special Assistant to the Chancellor for Diversity & Inclusion and Professor Social Work
- Jeremiah Williams, Secretary for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the Student Government Association
- Laura Williams, Controller
The search process will begin immediately, with the expectation the new leader will be appointed by September. As part of the interview process, on-campus interviews for finalists will be conducted once the campus returns in August to give the community a chance to participate in the process.
The University has engaged AGB Search to assist with the national search.